Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Cultural Exhibit!


The de Grummond Collection at Cook Library


Prior to the commencement of this class, Library Science, I had never heard of the de Grummond Collection. On the first day of class, we were informed of its purpose and location. As soon as this assignment was given, I knew that I wanted to write about this collection. When I walked through the doors I knew that I had made the right choice. Being that, even though I am a sophomore in college, I am still a kid at heart, this exhibit was perfect for me. I love children’s literature, from the stories to the illustrations. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to view the makings of one of my favorite children’s stories, Curious George. It was so interesting to see how the whereabouts of the authors were tracked. My favorite part, though, was the pages on the makings of the illustrations. All of the zoo animals were planned out so mathematically, and I had never really considered them to be that big of a deal. Now I know how time consuming it must have been to design each and every one of them.
Maybe a little less popular than Curious George but a masterpiece just the same, is the children’s book, The Snowy Day. This was also one of my favorites as a child as well. It was so interesting to see the raw materials used to put together this award winning book. The de Grummond Collection really did make me appreciate the work put into children’s books, which are often not given the respect they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment